[linux-audio-user] Python or Perl for daily audio scripts?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 21 11:57:05 EST 2004

Hallo,
Brett McCoy hat gesagt: // Brett McCoy wrote:

> Christian Frisson wrote:
>
> >As I'm a little picky on filenames aesthetics, my next step is to
> >translate this script into another language, in order to be able to
> >parse HTML files to get proper filenames included therein. I've
> >been hesitating between Perl and Python (as Frank Barknecht advised
> >me before), because both are multi-platform and can handle audio
> >files, as required for the final project. Which one would best
> >suit? I've been programming easy student software in C/C++, if it
> >can help.
>
> I'd say take a look at both languages and try to write something
> simple first and see which one feels better for you.

Yes, definitely try both, and maybe Ruby and, no joke, some Lisp
dialect, too. Personally I developed a lot in Perl until I discovereed
Python, which more fits my taste and my way of thinking. If I would
have to teach someone who doesn't know how to program at all, some
programming language, then I would almost for sure do this in Python.

It's easy to get a feel for both languages, though. For learning
Python I would recommend the tutorial by Guido van Rossum, which you
can read in one afternoon. I don't know similar Perl docs anymore, but
there sure are a lot. As you write, that you know C and C++: If Perl
is more like C, than Python is more like C++. ;)

Both Perl and Python have good libraries for handling soundfiles, too.

Ciao