[linux-audio-user] alsa clients plugged into jackd with jackplug

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Sun Dec 26 17:23:28 EST 2004

I don't think I understand this jackplug concept.

I'm trying to get an alsa client, such as aplay to play through jackd.

I've setup jackplug in /etc/asound.conf

pcm.jackplug
{
  type plug
  slave
  {
    pcm "jack"
  }
}

pcm.jack
{
  type jack
  playback_ports
  {
    0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
    1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
  }
  capture_ports
  {
    0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
    1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
  }
}

I then tell aplay to use:

#aplay -d jackplug foobar.wav

But aplay plays the file even if jackd is not started; why?. Isn't
jackplug supposed to show up in my jack connections when aplay is
playing?

I seem to be missing something vital.

Is there some way to make a "fake audio device", like hw:3,0 that alsa
applications can connect to so that I can get the audio out and then
send it through jack, process it and then send it to the real audio
device?

Esben Stien is b0ef at esben-stien.name
http://www.esben-stien.name
irc://irc.esben-stien.name/%23contact