[linux-audio-user] midi controller (x-session) with jack rack

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Dec 29 15:55:27 EST 2004

Hallo,
Iván Almada hat gesagt: // Iván Almada wrote:

> the controller sends midi-cc messages (so i also can
> control some specimen sampler parameters with this
> thing! thanks pete!) the problem is that ive only used
> it via usb with my fathers win box.  I would like to
> use it via usb with linux anybody knows something
> about this ??? ive heard recently that someone bought
> an evolution usb keyboard,  i think it would be
> similar...

It should work. I use the Evolution UC-33 (I need more knobs and
sliders) and it's really plug and play. Follow the setup instructions
on www.alsa-project.org or alsa.opensrc.org regarding a standard USB
audio device (USB midi is treated the same as audio and even uses the
same driver), and you should be set. The only problem could be, that
hotplug automatically loads the OSS usbmidi driver. You can add
"usbmidi" and "audio" and "usbaudio" to your "hotplug" blacklist
(often /etc/hotplug/blacklist) to prevent this. Check with "lsmod |
grep usb" that you do not have "usbmidi" loaded after you plugged in
the device.

It should then work with any application that can read data from the
ALSA sequencer or the /dev/midiX raw midi devices. I use the UC-33
with Pure data (Pd) for almost a year now, wonderful device. The
Xsession is like the little brother of the UC-33.

Ciao