[linux-audio-user] Feasibility of Crestron like Linux Based Whole House Audio System - Multisource / Multizone Capable????????????

Ruth A. Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Fri Dec 31 18:11:40 EST 2004

Steve Vanechanos wrote:
> Thanks for the response, but my first iteration of the project will be
> totally void of video.  AUDIO only.
>
> I want the Linux box to be able to connect multiple audio sources - I
> included a cable box and directv receiver as audio sources because they
> have some desirable music channels - to multiple rooms / zones.  So
> someone in my study can source select my CD player, while someone in my
> yard can
> select on music channel on the cable box, while someone else in my
> kitchen can select a music channel from the XM radio receiver.
>
> Is that a more understandable description of my project - I hope????????????

Yes, but there are always more questions. ;-)

What do you intend to put at each sound "destination"?  (E.g., in the
study do you expect to put:
   * speakers only (well, plus some (source) switching / volume control
mechanism--the speakers driven by a bank of amplifiers near the sound
source),
   * speakers (as first option) plus amplifiers (which is very little
difference from the first option)
   * speakers plus amplifiers plus something like a PC (or some
dedicated similar Ethernet device which can connect to the Ethernet and
receive and interpret a stream of Ethernet packets representing the
sound (either as .wav or .mpg (or similar))

??

My quick off the top of my head calculations say that Cat 5 (assuming
Cat 5 can do 100 Mbps Ethernet should be good (or does 100 Mbps take Cat
6?) (for the third option, which is what I'd prefer for various
reasons--among them, I'm leery of getting good audio through fairly long
runs of speaker wire without significant loss of bandwidth at one end or
the other of the 20-20,000 Hz. spectrum.)  (With that third option I'd
also have (easier/better) "local" control of volume, tone, equalization,
etc.)

Anyway, I'm quite sure it's doable with 100 Mbps Ethernet, probably
marginably doable with 10 Mbps Ethernet (use .mpgs primarily).  Now, as
to "if the present state of the Intel/AMD powered PC with Linux is
robust enough to control multiple sources (4, 6 or 8) like digital cable
box, directv receiver, XM radio, CD player(s), etc. and route the output
to multiple zones/rooms (4, 6 or 8) in an effective and cost efficient
manner."

(And your use of the word "control" is (to me) ambiguous which is why I
asked the three questions up above.)

To answer your question:

   * I don't know for sure, but I would hope and believe that the
technical pieces are all available in the Intel/AMD/Linux world.
   * I don't know how much money you have, how much technical interest
you have (i.e., in learning and doing things yourself), what you get for
your $10,000 from Crestron, and how much of a hurry you're in.  Assuming
you go with option 3, you'll need a computer in (or near, i.e., you
might not put one outside at your patio/pool) each sound "destination",
and presumably a more powerful server at some central location.  (I'm
ignoring some things.)  Till you buy those, amplifiers, ..., and invest
some time in learning / configuring those computers (and how much you
value your time vs. how much of your time investment you will consider
"recovered" based on the knowledge you gain), $10,000 may be a bargain
or at least a reasonable price for the value received.

I'd never spend $10,000 on a home audio system.  If building a house
(which I did once) I'd try to put in all the cables I could reasonably
imagine that I'd want someday (so I'd look seriously at Cat 6 vs. Cat 5,
and seriously consider fiber as well (I have no idea of current costs,
but I suspect that's what I'd want for a similar video system,
especially considering HDTV, and to avoid quality loss in compression
schemes), but I'm sure it's cheaper than it used to be. ;-)

Then I'd gradually install my desired audio system, as I learned enough
/ found the pieces to assemble a system (like you describe) over time at
reasonable cost.

Good luck!  I (and probably others on this list) will be interested to
hear what approach you take, and how things evolve over time (especially
if you don't buy a Crestron like system).

Randy Kramer