[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software with source code?

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Feb 4 05:29:14 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:06:12 -0500, Paul Winkler wrote
> (I'm moving this to linux-audio-user where the rest of this
> discussion has been held. Please direct replies there)
>
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 07:17:45PM +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > At the risk of being pedantic, what is wrong with the sound/audio section of
> > freshmeat?
>
> A good question. At first glance not much.
> But I do have the following gripes, and maybe some more
> I haven't thought of yet ;-)
>
> * Somewhat lacking in categories for audio/music apps.
> As far as I can tell, submitters cannot influence what categories
> their app should go in.

You can list the categories your app is listed under, but not create new
categories.

One site that goes a bit mad with the categories for sofware is the runme.org
repository : http://www.runme.org/ Check out the cloud of keywords on the right :)

> * You have to be logged in to submit anything.
> In a smaller community, I think we can relax this requirement,
> especially since admins will be able to undo any malicious changes.
>
> * No source code available to the freshmeat software. (see the FAQ.)

Thats kind of strange isn't it?

> I plan to make all my stuff open source.
>
> * Freshmeat will probably never do cool stuff like automatically
> track releases in the audio-specific distros.
>
> * Freshmeat rejects "trivial" submissions. I can understand the
> reasoning, but I don't agree with this.
> http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/198/
>
> * Freshmeat is too large and too general.

This is very true, there are so many projects there now that if you announce
your project on the front page it stays there for 10-20 minutes - a few years
ago it would last around a day.

> It doesn't give me warm fuzzy LAD/LAU community feelings.
>
> * Banner ads. Fooey.
>
> And finally...
>
> * They don't have a logo with a cute penguin wearing headphones.
> This is unforgivable.

Well, reason enough - you've convinced me! :)

> All that said, since they export their backend RDF files,
> we should be able to re-use a whole lot of stuff from
> freshmeat, and/or use their xml-rpc api to forward our own
> submissions to freshmeat. Not sure about the best way to do all this,
> but I'm sure Steve will help ;-)
>
> > Dave's site is great because it is so low tech imho.
>
> Low tech is great unless you're the guy that does all the work :-)

True... cheers Dave!

In wiki form: www.pawfal.org ? :]

> There has been talk on the consortium_p list of having linuxaudio.org
> be a sort of portal for various subdomains which can be maintained
> independently. So my proposal could live at something like
> apps.linuxaudio.org or similar. A musician portal could either be
> based on linuxmusician.com (yes, it exists, check it out!)

Oh, cool - has this been announced here? Perhaps I was asleep...

cheers,

dave