[linux-audio-user] New install, SuSE

David Evans dsevans at berndtgroup.net
Tue Feb 10 11:21:04 EST 2004

Hello,

i'm new to the list and to linux audio.  i have just installed SuSE 9.0
on my computer, which was a Red Hat 7.2 box for many years. i was
pleasently suprised to find a huge collection of audio applications
installed with this distribution. most specifically there is drum
machine/sequencer called hydrogen that i'm very interested in. but it
doesn't work, so here i am asking for help.

my computer is a dell dimension, which apparently has a yamaha xg64v
wavetable card built into the motherboard.  suse detected it and called
it a Yamaha DS-XG PCI (YMF724F).  it works for playing CDs and mp3s,
using xmms or mpg123.  i've read the article at:
http://linux-sound.org/quick-toots/4-sequencers_and_softsynths/quick-toot-midisynth_howto.html
and with that i got a virtual midi device working. but i don't really
understand what i'm doing there. and hydrogen still makes no sound.

does my yamaha card have a midi device and a synth device built into it?
if so, how do i get linux to realize this? any help getting this up and
running would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

dave

heres the /dev/sndstat file (after adding the virtual midi):

Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.9.7 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux linux 2.4.21-166-smp4G #1 SMP Fri Dec 19 15:43:30 UTC 2003
i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
Yamaha DS-XG PCI (YMF724F) at 0xf4000000, irq 9
Virtual MIDI Card 1

Audio devices:
0: YMFPCI (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG