[linux-audio-user] New install, SuSE

Christian Henz chrhenz at gmx.de
Tue Feb 10 12:55:20 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:21:04AM -0500, David Evans wrote:
> my computer is a dell dimension, which apparently has a yamaha xg64v
> wavetable card built into the motherboard.  suse detected it and called
> it a Yamaha DS-XG PCI (YMF724F).  it works for playing CDs and mp3s,
> using xmms or mpg123.  i've read the article at:
> http://linux-sound.org/quick-toots/4-sequencers_and_softsynths/quick-toot-midisynth_howto.html
> and with that i got a virtual midi device working. but i don't really
> understand what i'm doing there. and hydrogen still makes no sound.

Hydrogen should produce sound as soon as you click on the play buttons in the mixer window.

To use it with MIDI, you don't need the virtual device. Hydrogen, like other ALSA-enabled MIDI applications, creates it's own virtual MIDI port (use 'aconnect -lo' to see it). In order to send MIDI to Hydrogen, you need to connect this port to some input port (use 'aconnect -li' to see which ones are available).

You can use aconnect or similar tools to make these connections. Sequencer applications like muse and rosegarden can also do this.

cheers,
Christian Henz