[linux-audio-user] New install, SuSE

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Feb 10 13:11:59 EST 2004

Christian Henz wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:21:04AM -0500, David Evans wrote:
>
>>my computer is a dell dimension, which apparently has a yamaha xg64v
>>wavetable card built into the motherboard.  suse detected it and called
>>it a Yamaha DS-XG PCI (YMF724F).  it works for playing CDs and mp3s,
>>using xmms or mpg123.  i've read the article at:
>>http://linux-sound.org/quick-toots/4-sequencers_and_softsynths/quick-toot-midisynth_howto.html
>>and with that i got a virtual midi device working. but i don't really
>>understand what i'm doing there. and hydrogen still makes no sound.
>>

> Hydrogen should produce sound as soon as you click on the play buttons in the mixer window.
>
> To use it with MIDI, you don't need the virtual device. Hydrogen, like other ALSA-enabled MIDI applications, creates it's own virtual MIDI port (use 'aconnect -lo' to see it). In order to send MIDI to Hydrogen, you need to connect this port to some input port (use 'aconnect -li' to see which ones are available).
>
> You can use aconnect or similar tools to make these connections. Sequencer applications like muse and rosegarden can also do this.

suse comes with the kaconnect tool which is a graphic midi patchbay.
if you are not scared of building your own software, there's
qjackctl.sourceforge.net, which combines a front-end to the jack
server, and both a jack and alsa midi patchbay. i use it daily, and
it's great imho.

--
The handles of a craftsman's tools bespeak an absolute simplicity,
the plainest forms affording the greatest range of possibilities for

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)