[linux-audio-user] New install, SuSE

Rocco linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Tue Feb 10 13:21:41 EST 2004

> suse comes with the kaconnect tool which is a graphic midi patchbay.
> if you are not scared of building your own software, there's
> qjackctl.sourceforge.net, which combines a front-end to the jack server,
> and both a jack and alsa midi patchbay. i use it daily, and it's great
> imho.

qjackctl *and* qjackconnect both come with SuSE 9.0...

If you don't see them in the kmenus (or if they don't launch from a
shell)... Go to --> Control Center --> YaST2 modules --> Software -->
Install and Remove Software...

If you do a simple search in that window consisting of "qjack", then
both of the (above mentioned) programs will show up. Make sure you
"check" the "Autocheck" option (at bottom of YaST2 screen) so that all
the dependencies are also installed (other nessesary progams).

These programs will make you're world much easier. The thing I like
about front ends like these, is they let you learn about how everything
fits to together... Not to mention how they make it possible to get down
to the business of making music.

You'll find that a lot of the apps that come with SuSE are a bit
outdated. But they are great if you are new and just want to do
*something* right now. The learning curve for linux/audio is pretty
steep. It's just nice to do *something* other than research once in a
while (hehe).

Rocco