[linux-audio-user] Why doesn't this link work?

Marv Smoak smoak at mis.net
Wed Feb 11 10:48:27 EST 2004

I guess it's a character flaw on my part but this is driving
me nuts.

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out
why my system does not play an audio clip at the site below.
The clip is from an NPR show, SoundMoney, and is of interest
to my wife, a prof in the School of Business at Xavier
University. Her machine, running that other OS, plays it; mine
RH 8.0 from Planet CCRMA (vintage March 2003) plays Real streams
with no problems; I use it every day.

(note some long lines below may have "wrap"ed.)
At the NPR SoundMoney site there is a link to
http://www.reppe.com/
At that site (below the picture) we see:

Rik's Latest on NPR's Sound Money
2/7/04 - Why Capitalism Rocks: Twix, Frisbees, and the Grateful Dead
 Listen

the Listen link is to:
http://www.soundmoney.org/play/audio2.php?media=/2004/02/07_soundmoney&start=00:00:53:24.0&end=00:00:57:54.5

When I click on it, my Konqueror browser asks what program to open it with.
If I say Konqueror, the Konqueror displays the audio2.php file:

<smil>
<seq>
<audio
src="rtsp://a754.v5559f.c5559.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/754/5559/v001/mpr.download.akamai.com/5559/money/2004/02/07_soundmoney.rm"
clip-begin="00:00:53:24.0" clip-end="00:00:57:54.5"/>
</seq>
</smil>
Usually, Konqueror opens real streams with realplay with no problems.

If I say open with realplay, realplay comes up and fails to play,
complaining that "Some component is missing ..."

After much searching on google and google groups, I think I've learned
that the web site itself is failing to execute the .php file and not
sending the stream.  I also tried using Mozilla and wget with the same
results.

This is not an important problem for me, but it is bugging me to the
point of distraction.  Do any of you folks understand what's happening
and why my wifes OS plays and mine won't?