Linux PA WAS [linux-audio-user] More Mandrake 9.2 fine tuning...Dell latitude live fx box

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Feb 11 13:34:56 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:14:01AM -0800, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> > Phase 4:  Add software to help analyze a room and set up EQs, etc.

Personally I think automagic room EQ is not really practical.
The best it can do is take a good-sounding sound system in
a bad-sounding room, and turn it into a bad-sounding system
in a bad-sounding room :-)

> Obviously the lack of ins/outs here is the first issue...unless using
> RME or Echo Layla or similar and then only like, 8 inputs...

If PCI is an option, two Delta 1010s would give you 16 analog and
4 spdif channels.
RME options give you a lot more channels.

> On standard
> cards the headroom specs might be an issue on inputs before distortion.

24 bits is a lot of dynamic range, you should be able to leave
plenty of headroom.

> > Here's some use cases for an ideal world after all this is set up.
> >
> > 1.  One sound engineer mixes house and monitors for a club band.
> > He's up on stage listening to the monitor mix and adjusting it with a
> > PDA over a wireless network :-)
>
> Love this idea!!!

How the heck is he going to judge the front-of-house sound without
being in the house?
I don't think this is practical.

> > 2.  Two separate engineers for house and monitors.  Everything is
> > routed through one computer (or a cluster) to multiple controllers
> > (as opposed to analog splitters they now use).  The monitor engineer
> > has a controller and builds the monitor mix.  The FOH engineer has a
> > controller to manage the FOH mix.

that would be cool :-)

> > 3.  Multiple computer setup.  Headless processor that takes all
> > inputs and outputs and does all processors.  Laptop controllers that
> > do the GUIs.  For that matter, the processor box(es) wouldn't even
> > need to be running X.  It could be controlled via networking.
> > Everything is fault-tolerant.

oh yeah :-)

btw, big touring shows are already using computers.
Digital Performer got some press out of being used on a Madonna
tour for all the sound cues, prerecorded loops, MIDI control of
lighting, etc. They didn't run the whole mix through it
but i'm sure that day will come.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com