Linux PA WAS [linux-audio-user] More Mandrake 9.2 fine tuning...Dell latitude live fx box

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Wed Feb 11 13:54:16 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 10:34, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:14:01AM -0800, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> > > Phase 4:  Add software to help analyze a room and set up EQs, etc.
>
> Personally I think automagic room EQ is not really practical.
> The best it can do is take a good-sounding sound system in
> a bad-sounding room, and turn it into a bad-sounding system
> in a bad-sounding room :-)
>
> > Obviously the lack of ins/outs here is the first issue...unless using
> > RME or Echo Layla or similar and then only like, 8 inputs...
>
> If PCI is an option, two Delta 1010s would give you 16 analog and
> 4 spdif channels.
> RME options give you a lot more channels.

mmm...And the consumer version is relatively cheap huh?? I might try
this...

> > On standard
> > cards the headroom specs might be an issue on inputs before distortion.
>
> 24 bits is a lot of dynamic range, you should be able to leave
> plenty of headroom.
>
> > > Here's some use cases for an ideal world after all this is set up.
> > >
> > > 1.  One sound engineer mixes house and monitors for a club band.
> > > He's up on stage listening to the monitor mix and adjusting it with a
> > > PDA over a wireless network :-)
> >
> > Love this idea!!!
>
> How the heck is he going to judge the front-of-house sound without
> being in the house?
> I don't think this is practical.

True dat!! :) I was thinking this would be kick a$$ for adjusting
monitors when they need to be Eq'd from FOH...as in No seperate monitor
mixing console. I have had to do this a million times and the footwork
was a pain in a big house!