[linux-audio-user] Kernel 2.4 low-latency patches -- combining?

Chris Metzler cmetzler at speakeasy.net
Sat Feb 14 10:31:21 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:18:09 -0500
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric at zhevny.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that it is best to apply both. I have run both the
> preempt and lowlatency patches on kernels ranging from 2.4.16 ( at least
> , probably earlier) through 2.4.22 with very good results.

Thanks.  It just concerned me that in the online discussion of low
latency patches, there was lots of "which one is better."  The only
discussion of *both* was in the linked-to threads from the LKML,
where it was discussed back in 2001 that they were in-principle
compatible and *could* be combined.  I knew that all this stuff,
plus the O(1) scheduler, had made it into 2.6; but I'm holding off
on 2.6 until 1) I see a nice "how to transition from 2.4. to 2.6"
guide, and 2) I stop seeing so many complaints about getting things
to work under 2.6 here and in debian-user.  I use this machine for
too much time-critical stuff to hunt for kernel installation stuff
just now . . .

Anyway, I patched my 2.4.23 with both and will boot it later today.

Thanks again.

-c

Chris Metzler			cmetzler at speakeasy.snip-me.net
		(remove "snip-me." to email)