[linux-audio-user] Laptop tuning

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 25 17:18:23 EST 2004

Hallo,
Arnold Krille hat gesagt: // Arnold Krille wrote:

> So I need another soundoutput for doing domething real? Sh'***

You do! :(

> Whats the cheapest sound for laptops with a reasonable good sound? Is some
> kind of simple usb2sound kit enough? Which could you recommend?

If possible, take your laptop to your dealer and test. You can set up
ALSA's module conf in advance, so you won't need to configure anything
in the shop. I'm recommending this, because I my tests I've found,
that the pairing of USB sound device, laptop hardware and low
latency/Jack is very sensitive. As you already have a midi device, you
can use a USB soundcard without Midi (most don't have midi anyways).
Some inexpensive devices I'd recommend to check out include the
similar looking Terratec Aureon USB, Audiotrak USB EX, 7.1 EX or 44.
The cheapest solution would be the Audiotrak Optoplay, which is well
supported, but a bit minimalistic (no recording).

Make sure you do run jackd over USB with 48 kHz, too.

ciao