[linux-audio-user] What is status vxpocket + alsa + jack

digger vermont dv_mlist at verizon.net
Thu Feb 26 13:45:25 EST 2004

Hello jörn,

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 07:05, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Chris Pickett wrote:
> > digger vermont wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All,
> >>     Is vxpocket now fully working with alsa and jack?  Are there any

> the line sound quality is excellent here (on said g3 @ 400 mhz
> pismo), but isn't the card supposed to support mic level inputs as
> well? last time i tried, this did not work properly (lots of noise
> and too little gain). can somebody confirm the card supports two mic
> level ins and briefly describe the alsamixer setting to use it?

I got the vxpocket and have been learning how to use it.  I haven't had
the opportunity to use the line input.  I have been checking out the mic
input using alsa 1.0.2c and arecord using the powerbook g4.

There is supposed to be a mic-preamp, or digital gain? It looks like its
supposed to have a range from -110db to +18db. I'm guessing that 'PCM
Capture Volume' is it but it doesn't seem to have any effect.  I plan to
ask on the alsa-user list about it.  'Mic Capture Volume' only has 8
increments.

With a guitar through a direct-box the recorded level is fine with input
set to mic and a level of 75%.

For voice using a Shure SM57 and normal speech levels I couldn't get a
decent recorded level. Same results as yours.

I've had little luck using the vxpocket with jack.

So I guess all this says is that I can't add much to what you already
know.

digger