[linux-audio-user] running jack as non-root?

jaap jacobus at free.fr
Fri Feb 27 19:13:51 EST 2004

Le Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 06:48:29PM +0100, Hasse Hagen Johansen a écrit...
> Hi
>
> Now googled around without results. The question is
>
> what is the recommended way to run jack and jack aware applications as
> a non root user. I saw something about capabilites at ccrma, but I
> cannot se how it is done (I know it is in the 2.4 kernels).

If you have rt-caps compiled in your kernel you have to compile jack
with the jack-caps flag Then you can start jack with jackstart as
non-root.Then applikatios that use jack can be started as non root ,but
will have realtime-privileges or something.If they support this feature
and are compiled with the right flag.

> I am running Gentoo with reiserfs, so I hope
> it doesn't depend on using ext2/3 extended attributes...any
> recommendations?

I have gentoo with reiserfs and I didn't notice anything special about
it.I think this is another issue,but I can be wrong

Ciao,
Jaap van Geffen