[linux-audio-user] Recording from SPDIF with Audiophile

lau at hippie-online.de lau at hippie-online.de
Thu Jan 1 16:46:01 EST 2004

Jan Depner wrote:

> What version of Audacity are you using?

1.1.1. Note that there is no problem in *playing* files with audacity.

Harald Milz wrote:

>>In the meantime I tried to use arecord (which unfortunately does not
>>provide man pages)
>
> It does - I have one on my machine!

Ah yes, there is one on my one, too. Seems that I typed something
wrong?! But man does not really provide more information than --help (at
least in version 0.9.0rc7). :-(

>>arecord -f S16_LE -r 48000 test.wav
>>
>>*but* this results in a mono file with too low signal level.
>
> You may have to set -c 2 as well to get stereo, this is not the default.

Well, -f S16_LE -r 48000 -c 2 is identical to -f dat and actually also
results in a mute file.

> Alsio the hardware device maybe.

In the meantime I checked modules.conf by the great c't article of Frank
Barknecht. Everything seems to be okay there. But I could not find
/etc/asoundrc or ~/.asoundrc. May be this is the reason for my problem -
I am going to find out next.

> As for low level - are you sure the DAT is correctly leveled? After all,
> these tools do nothing with the level except if explicitly (and kindly)
> asked.

Yes, arecord seems to be exactly what I need for a 1:1 DAT copy.
Nevertheless I still can only record mono files with definitely much
lower level than the input signal (which takes the full range of the
envy24control meters). Moreover I found out that xmms and audiacity play
it a bit faster and higher than the original data, even though I always
use the DAT's master clock! :-(

By the way: Does anybody know, what HardwareSettings -> VolumeChange
means in envy24control?

Ciao,
 HippiE