[linux-audio-user] midi troubles

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Jan 3 12:59:13 EST 2004

Hi C,

C'est vraiment possible ...
(and that's about as far as my French goes)

On Saturday 03 January 2004 16:24, C. Villard wrote:
> Before starting, I want to say that I have already spent a lot of time
> trying to make Brahms, Rosegarden, Solfege or Jazz+ working,
[...]

Try MusE (0.6.x recommended)

> Well... my computer is a PIV with a P4S8X-X Asus motherboard ; this
> motherboard includes a AD1980 chip for sound, and there's also a
> midi/game port on th motherboard ; I've bought a cable to get this port
> outside the box and have plug on it (with a midi cable) my Alesis qs8
> keyboard.
> For linux, it's an mdk 9.2 download edition. Alsa is running (message at
> boot) and the driver choosen for the sound chip by the sytem is the
> intel8x0 one.
>
> Last thing, I can hear sound without difficulty : when X runs afeter
> boot, I hear the little jingle witch comes with

Basically you must instruct modprobe to connect up the MIDI port (usually
0x330) when it inserts the soundcard driver.
I assume you have checked here for details, no?
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php3

My /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 file looks like this
(It probably will work for you, but I'm guessing)

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 mpu_port=0x330 index=0
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0660
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
If you are using mdk-9.2 then your modules directories may be set up
differently from Debian (which is what I'm using). Under Debian you then
perform an 'update-modules'. You may have to do something different from this.

This should solve it.

> Problems :
>
> - first, it seems that midi is not existing for linux. For example, when
> I launch K mid, in the part "configuration" midi , it's noticed "alsa
> device" but, when playing a mid file, no sound goes out from my qs8.
> When I try to launch Artscontrol, in midi part, there's nothing for
> input or output.

It's highly recommended to disable Artsd from the KDE control centre. It just
gets in the way. KDE will happily use ALSA instead.

> -I've succeded to install rosegarden 4 with rpm packages ; it has been
> very difficult because when I was trying to install rose. It tells me
> "no librosegarden" and when trying installing "libr." answer was "no
> ....roseg." !!!!! So someone tells me "urpmi rosg. libros." : it worked
> !!! But rosegarden don't work ; when trying to import a midi file, it
> doesn't work (no sound) and begin to become very instable (window
> freezing, no response ...) ; when I try to record I get the mess "no
> audio subsystem installed"  well......

Configuring your mpu401 (or whatever MIDI port) should sort this. Rosegarden4
does work, it's not quite as immediate as MusE, but makes up for this in
other ways ...

> - Jazz...never installed ; when I try to, a lib is always missing, same
> for Solfege, even if the lib is already installed (it's the case for a
> gtkhtml one for example)
> -Brahms says that there's no artsmidi.h even if I find it in
> /usr/include/arts...

I never got Jazz or Brahms to work either. MusE, Rosegarden4, TiMidity and/or
fluidsynth will probably cover most eventualities. Take heart, this stuff
does work and not only that, but works well and is enjoyable to use.

Good Luck and Have Fun Making Music!

tim hall