[linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Sat Jan 3 14:37:09 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 15:28, Jan Depner wrote:
> I think you should try to turn acpi off.  Where is your sound card in
> terms of interrupts?  Take a look at:
>
> http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/Arcana.html#IRQs

Google already found that for me ;-)

> If your sound card IRQ is not on 9 then interrupts on your SCSI card are
> going to give you xruns since 10 is higher priority than everything else
> (unless you can get 0, 1, or 8).

So now I've manged to convince the mobo to put scsi on 11, and the sound
card on 10 (was on 5). 11 is shared with a usb controller, but it
doesn't seem to get any interrupts - moving the mouse racks up
interrupts one of the other USB controllers (while true; do cat
/proc/interrupts; sleep 0.6; done). Unfortunately the BIOS settings
don't allow me to set the interrupts for onboard devices.

I've also turned acpi off (no harm in trying that again, I guess).

Still getting xruns, doesn't seem to be much different to before. Until
the files are cached, then it's fine, as usual. On the positive side,
did a bunch of recording today, and everything was good (after the usual
preload-to-cache tricks). It's also heartening to know that folks are
running similar spec boxes to mine and not getting xruns.

bye
John