[linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Jan 3 16:00:29 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 13:37, John Anderson wrote:
> So now I've manged to convince the mobo to put scsi on 11, and the sound
> card on 10 (was on 5). 11 is shared with a usb controller, but it
> doesn't seem to get any interrupts - moving the mouse racks up
> interrupts one of the other USB controllers (while true; do cat
> /proc/interrupts; sleep 0.6; done). Unfortunately the BIOS settings
> don't allow me to set the interrupts for onboard devices.
>
> I've also turned acpi off (no harm in trying that again, I guess).
>
> Still getting xruns, doesn't seem to be much different to before. Until
> the files are cached, then it's fine, as usual. On the positive side,
> did a bunch of recording today, and everything was good (after the usual
> preload-to-cache tricks). It's also heartening to know that folks are
> running similar spec boxes to mine and not getting xruns.

 	I wish I had your setup - it's much faster than mine ;-)  What bothers
me is that we're using *very* similar setups and I don't have any
problems with mine.  If I were you I would definitely try getting a
cheap IDE drive and using it for data (reiserfs of course).  You might
even try two IDE drives and drop the SCSI controller.  Also, it sounds
like you're using a USB mouse.  I use the little converter from USB to
PS/2 just to avoid USB interrupts.  My setup now has ICE1712 [Envy24] on
IRQ 10, nVidia NV6 [Vanta] on IRQ 11 shared with D-Link Ethernet, dual
USB controllers on IRQ 5.

Jan