[linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Jan 2 08:43:41 EST 2004

John Anderson:

> I've had some more time to play around with things. Eventually I ended
> up going back to 2.4.22 patched for low latency and pre-emption. 2.6.0
> and 2.6.0-mm2 would both xrun when I was recording. The 2.4 kernel will
> record reliably, but I still get dropouts on disk reads.
>
> What's interesting is that if I'm running jack (0.93.6 now, but the last
> few releases as well) with *no* connections (except for the automatic
> capture and playback ports on the card, 12 and 10 respectively) and I do
> anything that involves a fair amount of disk reading (starting ardour,
> or cat some-file.wav >/dev/null), I'll get a bunch of xruns.
>
> jackd -R -d alsa -p 256 -n 3, running as root.
>
> It's been while since this thread was started, so here's a refresher on
> the box: Uniprocessor Athlon XP 2200+, 1Gb RAM, 36Gb Ultra3 SCSI
> (Adaptec 29160 with Fujitsu MAN3367 drive). MSI K7N2 Delta motherboard.
> Terratec EWS88MT soundcard. Using reiserfs as the filesystem.

I'm very surprised that you are running stable(?) with this machine and a
2.4.22 kernel. I battled with two different kind of nforce2 boards earlier
this year, no last year, without succeeding with the 2.4.22 kernel. There
is something with the local apic on the nforce2 chipset that does not work
with some/all 2.4 kernels. Running 2.4.23 and using the "nolapic" option
on the kernel command line solves the problem completely. Perhaps that might
be worth a try to solve the xruns problem?