[linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Sat Jan 3 17:00:44 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 23:08, Jan Depner wrote:
> Aha!  I knew I remembered something about Adaptec and the envy24
> chipset.  Check this out:
>
> http://www.staudio.de/kb/english/conflicts/index.html

AaaAAAaaaAaArgh!

<mutter mutter>"Reputable" brand names<mutter mutter>

Hmm. Maybe there's something that can be changed in the adaptec driver
that will make it work better in this situation.

> Granted, this is the ST Audio card and a 2940 but the chipset is the
> same on the audio card and the 29160 is just a faster version of the
> 29160 (note that there are problems with the on-board SCSI controllers
> too).  After re-finding this (it's linked on my web site) I would
> *definitely* recommend getting a cheap IDE drive for your audio data.

OK, so, any recommendations (or, um, condemnations?) for an IDE drive?

I'll let y'all know what happens. Many, many thanks for all the help.

bye
John