[linux-audio-user] no sound in zynaddsubfx with jackd

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jan 3 21:15:58 EST 2004

> Sorry for a problem that is probably just down to my ignorance.
>
> I am running mdk 9.2 with an audigy sound card using the alsa driver emu10k1.
>
> jackd -d alsa -d hw starts without error message. it says :
>
> jackd 0.93.6
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw|hw|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|rt|32bit
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Couldn't open hw for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> Couldn't open hw for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> Couldn't open hw for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
>
> starting zyn doesn't yield any error message.
>
> When using the virtual keyboard, the meters at the bottom suggest some sound
> is being generated but I can't hear it. I've seen references to jack-connect
> but I don't know what it is.
>
> My sound set-up works fine otherwise (xmms artsd (disabled for the moment) all
> use alsa output device)
>
> A rtfm pointer would be just fine.

You need to connect the outputs of zynaddsubfx to jack (zynaddsubfx does
not do that automatically). "jack_connect" is a command line program to
do that. I use qjackctl which also lets you start jack from a GUI
program, or qjackconnect. Both have good patchbays to manage the
connections.

-- Fernando