[linux-audio-user] Recommendations for audio software needed

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Jan 8 16:02:42 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 14:30, Conrad Newton wrote:

> Within the audio category, it is obvious that
> I should have a CD player (kscd), a CD-burner (k3b),
> and an mp3/ogg player (xmms).  I also want to have
> some music editing software, and I have identified
> the following programs as potentially interesting
>
> ardour
> audacity
> muse
> rosegarden4

	I use both Ardour and Audacity for audio.  Ardour is a professional
grade multitrack recording system.  Basically a counterpoint to ProTools
on Windoze.  The latest release is really stable.  So what would I
recommend?  If you don't have sound cards with more than two inputs or
you're not interested in multitrack recording (although Audacity will do
this at a very basic level) you probably want to go with Audacity.  I
think that for your stated goals Ardour is too complex a tool.  Which
one do I use the most and like the best?  Ardour.

	I believe that muse and rosegarden are used mostly for MIDI about which
I know next to nothing so I can't give you any advice on that.

Jan