[linux-audio-user] Using Creative sb16 CSP(DSP) chip?

Pietro p.alfa at email.it
Fri Jan 9 13:08:42 EST 2004

Hi,
I've just switched my system to Kernel 2.6 and installed ALSA. I've
perfectly configured everything...
I've a Sound Blaster 16 with CSP (an ISA card ten or more years old!) that
works very fine. I've modprobed snd-sb16 with the option that rise csp
support.

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/cspD1
Creative Signal Processor [v1.0]
State: -x---

I do not know very well what a CSP, Creative Signal Processor, but I think,
reading at ALSA sources, that it's a chip that speedups some
compressions/decompressions using some audio codecs.
I would like to know how can I actively use this gorgeous more-ten-years-old
chip with some applications. Maybe, I'll save a cople of seconds when I
transform a wav to mp3 (or ogg that's better!)?
Thank you very much!,
Pietro