[linux-audio-user] RME Cardbus + multiface

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Jan 9 13:37:28 EST 2004

Vincent Touquet wrote on Fri, 09-Jan-2004:

 > On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 01:14:49PM -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:
 > >I use the HDSP Cardbus/Multiface combination with a ThinkPad A31
 > >with good success.  Because the the A31 (base) does not have firewire
 > >(or USB2), I also use a cardbus firewire interface with an external
 > >drive.
 >
 > Do you record straight from the multiface onto this firewire drive ?
 > I was wondering if this would be feasible, as then the rme cardbus
 > card and the firewire card share resources, which could lead to
 > problems recording lots of tracks ?

The two slots are independent, and the IRQs are different...
so it shouldn't be any different than the same scenario with two
different PCI cards in a desktop.  I haven't stress-tested it
completely yet (i don't know why i haven't yet...) but I haven't had
any troubles using the FW drive as my audio drive with ardour, etc.

 > I'm curious as the T40p doesn't have firewire either.
 > It has USB 2.0 though.

Yes, IBM is a bit strange with their (lack of) inclusion of FW
on most machines.

jlc