[linux-audio-user] Using Creative sb16 CSP(DSP) chip?

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Sat Jan 10 07:31:43 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 12:16:55PM +0100, Pietro wrote:
> But what about A-law codec and u-law codec? I've tried to load them and use
> sox to transform a PCM wave to A-law or u-law wave, but sox does not seem to
> use my beloved DSP chip!

AFAIK those are only used for recording/playback of sound.  If you load
the microcode for u-law for instance, DSP streams that are recorded will
be compressed with u-law, and you can playback raw u-law streams to the
card.  This is speculation based on how the DOS drivers worked.  I don't
think the chip can be used as a coprocessor.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>