[linux-audio-user] [OT?] Fun with numbers

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Thu Jan 15 09:46:40 EST 2004

Greetings:

    I thought about posting a response to the linuxaudio.org controversy
but I've opted for posting some numbers instead.

    It was pointed out that LAD can claim more than 700 members now.
Very cool, I love it. I'm not sure exactly what those numbers mean, but
I do know that only about 1/10 of that figure actually post regularly to
the list. So out of the 700 only ~70 are consistent contributors. Again,
I don't know what the numbers signify. I guess it's [your meaning here].

    On January 7 Linux Journal On-line posted my second monthly column
(this one about Planet CCRMA and AGNULA). I checked for the number of
reads this morning: +10000. That's right, more than ten thousand in
little over one week. I point this out not to shine my own light, but to
indicate again that far more people are interested in Linux audio
development than the mail lists' membership numbers suggest.

    (Actually I have a lot of thoughts on all this stuff, but I'm really
just too busy here for further comment.)

    Back to the hack...

Best regards,

Dave Phillips