[linux-audio-user] Alsa?

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jan 16 14:14:00 EST 2004

> I'm running an HDSP/Multiface on a planet ccrma Redhat 9.0 system.  I'm having
> this problem when I restart alsasound.  Below is the readout of `/sbin/service
> alsasound restart`  ... Comments/hints?
>
> Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
> Starting sound driver snd-hdsp                             [  OK  ]
> Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
> Starting sequencer driver snd-seq-midi                     [  OK  ]
> Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:799: warning: iface mismatch (2/1) for control #23
> /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:805: warning: name mismatch (Chn/ADAT Lock Status) for control #23
> /usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:784: failed to obtain info for control #24 (No such file or directory)
>                                                            [FAILED]

That's what happens when you update alsa and something has changed in
the naming or order or whatever of the mixer controls. The state
information stored in /etc/asound.state cannot be properly interpreted
when reloaded by alsactl.

To fix go into alsamixer (or the hdsp* utilities), make sure that all
options are as you want them and then do:
  alsactl store
That will store new information in asound.state. Subsequent restarts of
alsa should give no error messages (until another upgrade messes things
up again :-)

-- Fernando