[linux-audio-user] web forums [was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT?] Fun with numbers]

Rocco linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Sat Jan 17 11:01:30 EST 2004

>>>    It was pointed out that LAD can claim more than 700 members now.
>>> Very cool, I love it. I'm not sure exactly what those numbers mean, but
>>> I do know that only about 1/10 of that figure actually post regularly to
>>> the list. So out of the 700 only ~70 are consistent contributors. Again,
>>> I don't know what the numbers signify. I guess it's [your meaning here].

I can only speak for myself and tell you why it took me so long to post
to the list. Even though you couldn't ask for a nicer, more supportive
group of people, it's still kind of intimidating to post to such a savy
group. And in the beginning, it took so long to catch up and understand
what everyone was talking about. And even though I think there's a high
level of sophistication with a lot of the people that post, I realize
also that a lot of it has to do with the fact that some people just have
knowledge in areas that I havn't (and may never) delve into. I guess
what I'm saying is that, yes... it's a pretty savy group, but it (seems)
more intimidating than it is because there's a lot of information (about
a lot of things) that I see everyday. It's less intimidating than it
appears.

Before I felt comfortable posting, I had to spend a year just learning
the tecnical aspect because I didn't want to sound like a hack (using
that term the way the commedians do... as one that is an "amature").
Maybe I just have a condition that has a long medical name that means
"fear of posting". But I'm glad I'm getting over this fear, because the
information I've received from asking questions have really moved my
(quaint little) living room studio along.

Beleive me, I'm debating if I want to press the send button at this very
moment...

Rocco