[linux-audio-user] Looking for a distro strategy

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Jan 19 14:53:27 EST 2004

Greg Reddin wrote:
> With all the new releases of audio software of late and all the shift
> that's taking place among distros, I'm trying to devise a good
> upgrade path for my DAW.
>
> As it stands I'm running RedHat 9 with a patched kernel.  I've
> installed all the audio software I use by building from scratch --
> downloading, compiling, and installing individual packages.  At this
> point, it has taken so much work to get my system where it is that
> I'm loathe to upgrade it.  Yet, with new versions of Rosegarden,
> Muse, Ardour, and Jack coming out lately, I'd really like to take
> advantage of those new features.  OTOH, I'm worried that an upgrade
> can cause problems with work that is in progress.

given the price of harddisks nowadays, i'd say clone your system over to
a new and possibly larger and faster disk, and start fiddling. if things
go haywire, you can go back.
you might even set up your boot loader to allow you to boot either
system w/o the need to open the case.

--
"I never use EQ, never, never, never. I previously used to use mic
positioning but I've even given up on that too."

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)