[linux-audio-user] via82xx and jackd

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Jan 21 15:38:48 EST 2004

> I've tried other parameters before to no avail.

Too bad. Sorry. As was suggested, some of these less expensive chips have
limitations. You're fixed to specific sample rates, or block sizes. We all
have had to poke around at times looking for things that actually work.
Limitation of the hardware probably.

> I did notice this post on the alsa list:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg11011.html
>
> and thought that maybe others had encountered this problem as well.

You're most likely correct. Maybe there's an advantage to having an 8235.
Don't know. Seems to be OK for me. I don't use it with Jack much, but it
does run, and as I say, I'm getting 5mS reliably on an unpatched Gentoo
2.4.22 kernel.

> Can someone tell me what my limitations are going to be if I can't run
> jack in duplex mode? Will I be able to user ardour on its own to do
> multitracking from the line-in/mic?

I think you'll see the limitations in qjackctl. IIRC, you'll only see inputs
or outputs in the patch bay/connections sections when you choose something
other than duplex. It's been a while since I've looked at this. Therefore
Ardour would only have access to what's visible.

Maybe try soft mode with Jack? I've never even tried that. Likely it won't
help you, and sorry if you've said you've tried that. Don't think I have
much more to offer.

Good luck,
Mark