[linux-audio-user] Which kernel for low latency and kernel 2.6.1-mm# problems

davidrclark at earthlink.net davidrclark at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 22:55:05 EST 2004

I've read some of these discussions and cannot offer much, except that I
have been trying to use the SATA driver in "enhanced" mode with an ASUS
board with Intel ICH5R chipset.  This is impossible to do for very long.
Eventually accessing the hard drives causes the machine to lock up.
If the mouse is moved while a process that has extensive disk activity
is running, erratic behaviour results, such as pasting of text into
xterms.  I've also observed that it is impossible to run e2fsck on a large
drive without it halting.  Hitting keys, especially Ctl-Alt-Del, will
restart e2fsck, this must be done repeatedly (dozens of times for checking
3 PATA's and one SATA).

What does this have to do with jack?

I come down on the side of a very serious bug in the kernel, scheduler,
something of that nature --- not jack or the SATA driver.  I believe that
other demanding drivers must be also having problems.

Now I am running a P4/800 in APIC mode for 2.6.1 with low-latency selected.
I have not tried jack yet (not that far along).  I'm also running Slackware
9.1 (uses devfs).

I think we'll all be very happy with this new kernel once this gets worked
out.  It has a lot of good features.  I like the build process better, too,
and gconfig.

Dave.