[linux-audio-user] [ot] Is DJ-ing commercial use of music tracks?

iriXx m at iriXx.org
Sat Jan 24 06:22:56 EST 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>Hallo,
>
>I'm considering starting to DJ again, but this time not with vinyl as
>I used to, but with a Linux laptop playing netaudio. Now as
>more-and-more net labels start to use a Creative Commons license that
>prohibits commercial use as described here:
>http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/1.0/legalcode I wonder,
>if playing tracks licensed as this in a club/pub where I will be payed
>(badly) for my DJ-ing is commercial use? I fear, it is, and that thus
>my netaudio DJ-ing is doomed unless I break the license hoping noone
>will see it.
>
>And a related question: If I would do a radio feature on net audio,
>which I would be payed for writing introductory texts and recording
>this speech, would this be commercial use, even if this would run on a
>public radio without any kind of advertising or money making on the
>station's side?
>
>Of course I would follow other license requirements like attribution
>and such.
>
>ciao

hi Frank,

as you're based in Germany it might be helpful for you to get in touch
with Christiane Asschenfeldt, who is coordinating the international
porting of Creative Commons - her details are on this page:
http://creativecommons.org/projects/international/. i believe there is a
German porting in discussion too, but it isnt yet mentioned on the page.

yes, public performance in a commercial setting (where you get paid) is
commercial use. the net audio project sounds like more of a grey area.
but take heart - not all of us Creative Commons advocates use the
non-commercial license. i license my work with the CC equivalent of
Libre licensing - the Attribution-Share-Alike license - which permits
commercial copying. i dont know if my strange psychic soundscapes are
quite what you're after though ;)...

hth,

best,

m~ / iriXx

--
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

--Benjamin Franklin

 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_     HTTP 503: Too Busy

 .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.