[linux-audio-user] re: audacity

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jan 28 16:54:55 EST 2004

> ->I think audacity uses the OSS emulation layer of ALSA, maybe there is a
> new "feature" (bug?) in the newest ALSA that breaks emulation for the
> HDSP?
>
> What sort of message do you get on startup?
> -- Fernando<-
>
> That's just it - there is no startup.  It just hangs there with no message or any
> activity at all - until you interrupt the process or kill it in another shell.

That could mean that something else is using the OSS devices and
audacity is just waiting for them to become free. Try to see if
something is using /dev/dsp by doing a:
  fuser /dev/dsp
(in a terminal)

> I'm going to try downgrading to the "latest stable release" (which is earlier than
> the 1.1-3 version on planetccrma) when the audacity site is back up

That will probably not help...

> - where did the ccrma audacity come from?

>From the audacity site. It was the "unstable" version which is now
getting ready for 1.2 status (I have to upgrade to the latest version).

-- Fernando