[linux-audio-user] closed-source kernel drivers and low-latency [was: OT: need a video card]

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Thu Jan 29 13:51:39 EST 2004

For a bit more money, but still way below 100 bucks, you can find the
nVidia Geforce FX5200 (I bought an MSI one for 64 euro). Very decent 3D
acceleration. Keep in mind though that to use these cards (nvidia and
radeon) with hardware acceleration, you will need to use to their
closed-source drivers...

Which brings us on topic: [and therefore the subject change]

I suppose that with closed source drivers, the low latency patches might
very well not be effective. Who knows what kind of long codepaths are
present (maybe even stuff to give better video benchmarks, while
screwing overall performance?). Did anybody investigate this? And, with
the 2.6.x kernels being preemptible, does that mean that this is solved
anyway? (I mean, will the preemptibility extend to any driver?)

Maarten