[linux-audio-user] closed-source kernel drivers and low-latency [was: OT: need a video card]

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Jan 29 16:20:19 EST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:51:39 +0100
Maarten de Boer <mdeboer at iua.upf.es> wrote:
> I suppose that with closed source drivers, the low latency patches might
> very well not be effective. Who knows what kind of long codepaths are
> present (maybe even stuff to give better video benchmarks, while
> screwing overall performance?). Did anybody investigate this?

I use the Planet CCRMA low-latency kernel for my RH9 box, and I've had
that GForce2 card since I've had this machine.  I never had a problem
with them - xruns are very rare on this box.  The modules always compiled
easily with the installer script as long as I had the Planet's kernel
source RPM installed.

While I'd prefer open source fort the kernel, I am at least grateful
that they're committed to continued and current support for Linux.
I just read on /. that they've released drivers for the 2.6 kernel.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com