[linux-audio-user] OT: need a video card

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 13:55:12 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 09:43, Joe Hartley wrote:
> The nVIDIA GForce2mx card in my studio machine is on its way out (weird
> streaks across the screen) and I'm temporarily using the sub-par
> onboard video do work.

I'm using a low end Radeon board which I paid about $60 for at
http://www.newegg.com . It's worked very well for me. xine runs nicely
with this card when I play DVDs. Watched the Bourne Identity last night
while I tried to set up my new 002 Rack. (See, back onto music.) ;-) So
do the RME tools. I don't need much more in terms of graphics under
Linux.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 If
[Radeon 9000] (rev 01)
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 [Radeon
9000] (Secondary) (rev 01)

http://www.crucial.com has two cards under $100 based on the Radeon
9200. They probably work very well.

Choosing nVidia vs. ATI is (to me) really a choice of which way you want
to deal with the drivers. I prefer ATI really, but use nVidia also.

- Mark