[linux-audio-user] Terratec DMX6 Fire recording problems & Rosegarden MIDI question

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Jan 29 22:46:41 EST 2004

Rachel,

On Thursday 29 January 2004 10:25 pm, RachelAPP wrote:
> Thanks for clearing things up about Rosegarden4 - i guess connecting the
> midi track to a soft synth via Jack is the same as loading a VST isntrument
> for that track in Cubase. It's just that doing it with jack isn't obvious
> when you don't know your way around yet! The layout of Rosegarden4 also led
> me to believe you could play some MIDI tracks using the GM library...

TBH I haven't used Cubase or really got to grips with Rosegarden4 either, you
may well be right *shrugs*. I've only been using Debian for just over a year
having migrated completely from Windows (and I can't imagine going back to it
now :-) I've only just scratched the surface of what's possible in that time,
but I've learned a hell of a lot about how my computer works.

> I'm fine now and i can get on with my music making - i'm sure i will have
> more questions soon though hehe

you will.

> Yeah i'm reading some doc on my system ands ome ebook about Linux and i'm
> slowly getting used to using the shell to do most of the tasks -  i guess i
> was just impatient about getting on with the music side of things as this
> is quite important for me...

Understood. The command line is really worth the effort, not only from the POV
of speed, but also because of the useful diagnostic info you get if an
application doesn't want to play (especially if you call it with the
--verbose option, or whatever)

When you're done reading all that, you might find
http://www.agnula.org/
a useful resource ;-)

Have Fun Making Music!

tim hall