[linux-audio-user] Terratec DMX6 Fire recording problems & Rosegarden MIDI question

RachelAPP app at appband.com
Thu Jan 29 17:25:40 EST 2004

Thanks for your help Tim, i've sorted things out with arecord (after
installing the envy24control  mixer instead of using alsamixer or amixer or
even alsamixergui, it's a lot easier to understand what is going on with it!)
and i am currently installing MusE... Looks like i have to record 4 channels
to get the line in (channel 3 & 4) but then i can open the file in Audacity
and get rid of channels 1 & 2 and copy and paste my channels 3 & 4 onto a
stereo track so that's enough for me now. My mic in is channel 5 & 6 so i
have to record 6 channels for it - haven't found a way to only record
channels 3 & 4 for example but it doesn't matter much right now, as long as i
know what goes where and i can get rid of what i don't want, i'm happy with
that...
Thanks for clearing things up about Rosegarden4 - i guess connecting the midi
track to a soft synth via Jack is the same as loading a VST isntrument for
that track in Cubase. It's just that doing it with jack isn't obvious when
you don't know your way around yet! The layout of Rosegarden4 also led me to
believe you could play some MIDI tracks using the GM library...
I'm fine now and i can get on with my music making - i'm sure i will have more
questions soon though hehe
Yeah i'm reading some doc on my system ands ome ebook about Linux and i'm
slowly getting used to using the shell to do most of the tasks -  i guess i
was just impatient about getting on with the music side of things as this is
quite important for me...
Cheers
Rachel

--