[linux-audio-user] Re: sound & midi applications page, was Re: [Consortium] linuxaudio.org

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Jan 31 17:42:31 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 05:14:12PM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>  I want to add here that Paul's project certainly has my blessings.

Thanks for that!!
I'd like to publically note that Dave is the guy who got me into
this scene in the first place - we used to correspond on and off
the old comp.music newsgroup around 1994, and it was an early
version of Dave's page that first convinced me to check out Linux.

>  IIRC, we also discerned that one of the first tasks would be the
> establishment of a backend database from the existing links
> and categories (which I would like to see redefined too). The URLs would
> need culled and organized: I don't think this would
> be a terribly difficult first step, maybe a good Perl script can do it ?

Something like that, but not a first step. Once I've got a working
beta of the system, I'll dump in a few apps and let people kick the tires
a bit. When I'm confident that the system is up to the task,
I'll write some scripts to dump in as much as possible of your
existing data (and report anything it can't parse, so I can get the
rest by hand).

> Is PW not a Perlmeister ??  ;)

Reformed. I don't touch the Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister
anymore. ;-)
I'm now a pythonista.

--

Paul Winkler