[linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise

Veronica Merryfield veronica.merryfield at tesco.net
Fri Jul 2 04:53:21 EDT 2004

Hi Daniel

> > I am thinking of going with the Audiophile 2496. Can anyone confirm
> > it will do duplex operation? And MIDI?
>
> Yes, but it doesn't have a 1/4" input. I expect you'll need a simple
> pre-amp or mixer circuit to balance impedances. Is your bass active
> or passive?

My basses are passive but I use a wireless link. The receiver output is low
impeadance, balanced and unbalanced are available.

> In a way, using a Linux box just for bass effects is overkill. You
> might want to consider including recording capabilities into your
> design.

I am thinking of doubling it up as a polysynth - I do the keyboad thing as
well. I did have some recording use in mind. If that becomes important, I
might change the soundcard for more channels.

> > I have seen the plugins available and will write some of my own.
>
> Sounds good - speaking as one bass player to another, would you
> consider releasing your plugins?

Yes. One of the big things for me is to have a rich or thick chorus but
without the depth or speed. This can only be accomplished by using a number
of delay paths in parallel all running at slightly different rates. Years
ago I made my own box with 5 bucket brigades and it was sooo lush -
fantastic for my fretless. It died and nothing else matches it. I also want
to play with various longer delay effects and phrase recording. One of the
other things I would like to do is have pitch following synths, either by
doing the work in code, which is not likely to yeild good results, or by
using a pickup and convertor box - giving one of the requirements for MIDI,
the other being the pedal board.

> > I plan on putting a system in a rack, not necesarily 1U. I can get
> > rack enclosures, all steel. The lower plate has a matrix of holes
> > for mounting board standoffs. This way I can have a pedal board
> > with a rack above
>
> There was some discussion on this list recently about using MIDI foot
> controllers, I believe.
Thanks - I'll go look.