[linux-audio-user] Audacity now works with JACK

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Jul 2 05:32:30 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I've been trying out the newly improved JACK support in Audacity and
can confirm that it does work. If other people could give this some
testing I'm sure it would help solidify the feature. Please consider
joining the audacity-devel list and sending feedback.

To build Audacity with JACK support you need to do this:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/audacity login

(hit the enter key when it asks for a password)

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/audacity co
audacity

(the above is all one line)

cd audacity

./configure --with-portaudio=v19 --without-portmixer

(edit src/Makefile and add this to the end of the LIBS line if it's
not there):

-lasound -ljack

Then make and make install as usual. Start JACK, start Audacity and
you should have a JACK option in Preferences under Audio I/O. You may
need to disable the VU meters to get reliable playback on a slow
machine - that option is on each meter's drop-down menu.

Cheers

Daniel