[linux-audio-user] Audacity now works with JACK

Maarten De Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Fri Jul 2 09:35:18 EDT 2004

> I've been trying out the newly improved JACK support in Audacity and
> can confirm that it does work. If other people could give this some
> testing I'm sure it would help solidify the feature. Please consider
> joining the audacity-devel list and sending feedback.

Hi Daniel,

I just tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I follow the steps you
describe. But when I start audacity, it complains that it cannot
open the alsa device (because the running jackd is using it)

debian:/home/demo/audacity-1.2.1cvs20040702# /usr/local/bin/audacity
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c failed:
Device or resource busy
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed:
Device or resource busy

In the preferences, jack is selected, but when I try to play a sound,
an error dialog pops up:

"Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings
and the project sample rate."

The project sample rate is set to 48000, which jackd is running at...

Any idea?

Maarten