[linux-audio-user] [OT - Apostrophe]

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 2 14:10:20 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:17:00AM -0500, RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net wrote:
> On 01-Jul-2004 Joe Hartley wrote:
> }  RickTaylor at speakeasy.net wrote:
> }
> } > by the way:
> } >
> } > http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story?id=6217364&pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=
> } > single1
> }
> }  40 albums???  O...M...G...
> }
> }  I got to the point where I didn't need to buy any more FZ, because I
> }  really didn't need yet another version of The Torture Never Stops, but
> }  this sounds like something amazing.
>
>  I'm surprised you found that at the bottom of all that mess. I'm not quite
> sure how the "mess" got sent either.
>
>  I used to be a Zappa junkie. :} I got thoroughly tired of his cynicism
> {cynicim's boring in the first place.} about the time he did "Broadway the Hard
> Way" {Apparently he did as well...}
>
>  I still think his jazz and guitar stuff is absolutely brilliant. There's a lot
> of brilliance interspersed throughout the earlier surreal stuff as well...
>
>  ...Maybe Gershwin would be a better pairing than Parker.

When Zappa found out he was dying of cancer, he spent most of his time in
interviews telling everybody what a crappy guitar player he thought he was.
I think he wanted people to focus more on his composition than his actual
musicianship. Having seen him twice in concert myself (the tuba solo was
amazing), such self-deprecation was unwarranted.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca