[linux-audio-user] Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?

Them idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Mon Jul 5 12:49:34 EDT 2004

Jan Depner wrote:

> When you use the planet all of these things are included.  The kernel is
> patched, ALSA is there, all of the apps just download and work.  You
> *do* need to make sure you get the kernel source but it's there as
> well.  As I said before, the only apps that I build from scratch are
> JACK, Ardour, and JAMin.  The only reason I build JAMin from scratch is
> because I work on the code.  Otherwise, I'd just download it from the
> planet as well.  Having built everything from scratch before I can tell
> you that the planet not only is easier but that it does things the right
> way.

I'm using the stock unstable version of Debian.  It also have everything
you need (I don't think it has the patched kernel, but it does have the
source and the low-latency patches as separate packages).  I typically
build most things from CVS also, just to stay on the bleeding edge of
things -- JACK, Ardour, JAMin and Rosegarden, primarily.