[linux-audio-user] how good are soundfonts and where do I find them?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Jul 8 10:33:15 EDT 2004

Them wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Sonic Implants String Boxes
>>
>> http://www.gigasamplers.com/GnCDRomGigasamplerVintage.htm
>>
>> Buy carefully. It isn't exactly like playing the real beast. Now that
>> was fun!
>

> Yeah, that's why I want to get this thing working under Linux:
>
> http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/m-tron/
>
> They have a app you can download now that will let you play it
> standalone (no need for a VST host).  If I can get that to work under
> Wine, I may be able to say goodbye forever to the Windows partition on
> my audio workstation.

I must be misunderstanding. The box looks like it's a VST instrument. I
don;t see the app you are talking about, but it sounds like they have a
stand along VST Host that works with this thing, which is cool.

As for the qualiy, looks to me like both offer the same 8 second
samples, no looping, etc. I'd expect that they are probably pretty
similar in terms of sound.

At $45 Pounds it's pretty much the same price as String Boxes. I'd
probably go the LinuxSampler route since you're likely to be part of a
larger community and get some support, but that's just my point of view.
Good luck whatever you do.

Have fun,
Mark