[linux-audio-user] how good are soundfonts and where do I find them?

Them idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Thu Jul 8 10:43:31 EDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:

>> They have a app you can download now that will let you play it
>> standalone (no need for a VST host).  If I can get that to work under
>> Wine, I may be able to say goodbye forever to the Windows partition on
>> my audio workstation.
>>
> I must be misunderstanding. The box looks like it's a VST instrument. I
> don;t see the app you are talking about, but it sounds like they have a
> stand along VST Host that works with this thing, which is cool.

Yeah, it can be used as a VST instrument (but not under Linux, can't get
it to work with lib_fst or vstserver), or use their little host app to
run it standalone.

> As for the qualiy, looks to me like both offer the same 8 second
> samples, no looping, etc. I'd expect that they are probably pretty
> similar in terms of sound.

Yeah, they do sound similar.  I already have the M-Tron (bought before I
moved over to Linux for audio work), so can't justify buying the other
product just yet... as I said, I may end up just making my own sample
set from the M-Tron as needed....

--
Rule of Feline Frustration:
         When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly