[linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net
Thu Jul 8 15:22:34 EDT 2004

On 08-Jul-2004 Them wrote:
}  RickTaylor at speakeasy.net wrote:
}
} > }  I think Rosegarden or NoteEdit are good contenders, and don't cost you
} > }  $500.00.  And Rosegarden works with JACK and LADSPA plugins, whereas
} > }  Finale does not.  And Finale can't do LilyPond.  Finale's PostScript
} > }  output option is a piece of junk, IMHO.
} >
} >  It is sort of universally recognized as the best. IEEHO
}
}  It is pretty nice software, don't get me wrong, but it's not perfect,
}  and it's very expensive.  It's MIDI import screws stuff up a lot, and
}  I've had problems writing drum tracks.  There was this one MIDI version
}  of a Dream Theater song I was using so I could learn the tune for a band
}  I was in, and Finale didn't play it back correctly (there were some
}  wierd triplets).  The exact same MIDI file imported into Rosegarden 4
}  played back with the correct rhythm.

 It is a bitch trying to convince dedicated users of the product {that make
a living with it, have deadlines, etc} that a linux alternative is even viable
much less "better". I think the best way might be to offer them the same
alternative and give them a reason to look around at all the other stuff. Once
they figure out that linux isn't a "toy" maybe they'll take a hard look at some
of the other alternatives it offers.

 In other words... If Finale ports..,. Finale users have a reason to use linux.

E-Mail: RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net
Date: 08-Jul-2004
Time: 14:17:45

This message was sent by XFMail