[linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 15:29:41 EDT 2004

--- Rick Henry <rhenry at ac-technologies.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:50:14 +0200, reed wrote
> > I think that if some one of you believe that an
> open source
> > development of Finale has to birh, we have to
> write them a lot...
> >
> > I wrote to:
> >
> > bwolff at makemusic.com
> > winsupport at codamusic.com
> > winsupport at makemusic.com
> > winsupport at smartmusic.com
> >

> Sending out email after email to different
> addresses, all at the same company
> really doesn't accomplish anything.
> It'll just piss people off.  Or provide them with
> something to laugh at.

You could contact Daniel James from the Linux
Consortium, linuxaudio.org, and ask his advice.

Despite alot of incredible application development and
a healthy number of developers it hasn't been until
the last couple months when the total number of linux
audio user mailing list subscribers outnumbered the
developers. I think you can see some stats on the LAD
site.

I would guess that despite an OS X port, there is
still work to do with porting for Linux and even when
that's done, there's maintaining that code base. How
many linux Finale users would we have? Maybe a couple
dozen. And how many would be required to justify
porting Finale? Maybe a couple thousand. I don't know
the real numbers, I'm just preparing to make a point.

I'd suggest the Linux Audio User community would be
better off orgainizing a fund raising activity of some
type and using the proceeds as contributions towards
existing projects.

It certainly isn't beyound me to wish that a company
with a high grade product would port to linux.
However, my feelings for that have changed. My current
position is, fuck them. This our community, let's keep
it that way. We need to put leeches on our own hooks.

I am prepared to spend $10.00 or $15.00 towards the
purchase of something if I know that money will be
well spent. If a couple hundred of us do that, we'll
make a hell of a contribution to our favorite project.

The more I think about giving $500.00 U.S. to a closed
project, the more pissed off I get. I'm tell'n ya, I'm
turning purple over here. Actually, I just had a
breakthrough on the drum kit so I'm not very purple.

Daniel James, you care to comment on this?

ron "purplish" parker